Monday, April 13, 2009

Locavore at the farm . . .

Oh, how time flies . . . last Saturday, April 4th, I had the most amazing experience. I actually dined with a bunch of cows! Yes, and it was the coolest thing in the world! Someone called it "ridiculous", but in a really great way!






Chef James Porter from Tapino did again, but on the road! At Superstition Farm, we enjoyed a gourmet dinner on white linens with china and glassware, surrounded by the dairy cows at their dinner time. I know the first question . . . how did it smell. Well, it smelled like a farm, but it really wasn't bad. It didn't interfere with my enjoyment of wines from Sam Pillsbury or from Rod Keeling & Jan Schaefer . . . and it certainly didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the tasty spread!





I'm going to let the pictures tell the story for the most part in this blog - I think they say more than enough . . .





Dining al fresco gets a whole new meaning here!




Sam Pillsbury, winemaker from Pillsbury Wine Co. He poured his Rose and Roan Red.



Meet Jan Schaefer and Rod Keeling of Keeling Schaefer Vineyards. They poured their Two Reds Granache and their Three Sisters Syrah.





Great meal included: Native tepary bean hummus with rustic grilled flat bread and Queen Creek olive oil . . . Seacat gardens salad with his roasted baby beets, glazed turnips, batavian lettuce, Superstition Farm farmer's cheese and Maya's herb garden vinaigrette (which was amazing!!!) fire roasted arizona suckling pig and charbroiled Double Check Ranch beef, with Maya's braised fennel, rosemary baby carrots, creamed spinach and One Windmill Farm campfire potatoes and Green Valley pecan and Sphinx Date Ranch "brown betty pie" with Udder Delights old fashioned ice cream.





Finished it off with some Superstition Farms milk - fresh from the cow!





Here's a happy customer. Who says California cows have it the best!?!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pics! They turned out lovely and reflect the great time we had!

gyfooma said...

Azvines and wines josh and rhonni, I see you have blocked me from following you. So sorry .No need there are many lovely vinyards and wine makers to follow, I apologize for your need to block gyfooma aka Ms Sherry Jadean Chobot i will take you off my list of az, and put you in my blog on customer service and the such much sucesss to you. sincerly gyfooma,