Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Barrel tasting at Javelina Leap Winery

I know, two posts in one day!

This one is to share with you the absolutely wonderful time I had with Rodney and Cynthia Snapp of Javelina Leap Winery. I had arrived to discuss some magazine business with them and it turned into a great opportunity to enjoy some wines and learn about winemaking.

We went through their tasting menu to start. This is not a WHITE HOUSE . . . only red wines are served here. Do you like sweet wines? You'll want to skip this place and head down the road. Rodney is commited to making full bodies reds and delivers on his promise. He serves Cabernet, Merlot and Zinfandel with an added private Reserve Merlot rounding out the finish.

I was then in for a treat! I love to talk to people who love to share their stories and their knowledge. Well, these two fit into that characterization! Rodney shared four different tastes of Zinfandel from four different barrels. I was amazed at how the barrel aging can really affect the wines flavor. They all had very distinct flavors. The first we tasted was the most "peppery". I know that Josh will love this one. The fourth one I tasted was my absolute favorite - it was almost like a buttery chardonnay - but zinfandel. I didn't think that was possible. It was so smooth and wonderful. The two in the middle were still great wines with completely unique characteristics. The barrels he's aging right now will be released later this year and I'm telling you . . . you will definitely want to stop by and see/taste his end result. It cannot be anything but amazing!

Rodney and Cynthia! Thanks so much for sharing your story with me and sharing your wine.

No comments: