Thursday, August 7, 2008

Kokopelli Wine Maker Dinner at Whole Foods Chandler

July 31st, 2008 - Whole Foods in Chandler hosted a Wine Maker Dinner featuring Kokopelli wines. The cost was $49.99 and included five courses with five wine pairings.

Although I've had Kokopelli wines in the past I was looking forward to enjoying some wines that I hadn't tried before and finding out how they paired with the food. We arrived promptly at 6:30 and found about ten to fifteen guests had already arrived. We joined another couple that we had not met before. They were great! Chris and Dionne (sorry if I mispell names) were great conversationalists and we enjoyed discussing wine with them. Jim, Whole Food's Cellar Master, is always a delight and his knowledge is always appreciated!

Our first course was a Proscuitto wrapped sea scallop with Kokopelli Pinot Grigio bur blanc - paired with (not surprisingly) Kokopelli Pinot Grigio. The plate consisted of two sea scallops that were prepared perfectly! Lately it seems that the scallops I'm served are overcooked and tough. Not these!!! Wow! Cooked perfectly and the flavor was fabulous - just the right amount of caramelization! The wine was paired appropriately, although I found the Pinot Grigio to be a bit sweet for my taste.

The salad course featured organic mixed greens pesto vinaigrette featuring local Black Mesa goat cheese produced in Arizona's White Mountains. Josh and I have enjoyed the Black Mesa cheese before and this time didn't disappoint. I'm going to have to attempt to make a pesto vinaigrette now! The chardonnay was also paired accordingly. The Kokopelli Private Reserve Chardonnay seemed to almost have a "tropical" flavor. I would enjoy this wine on a hot summer day while lounging out by the pool. Especially if I was trying to pretend I was in the Caribbean!

We had an enjoyable intermezzo - Ciao Bella raspberry sorbet with Kokopelli Imperial Kir Sparkling Wine. Normally an intermezzo is a really small "bite" of sorbet - well, this was a "super"mezzo! The bottom of the martini glass had two frozen raspberries and it was topped with two to three large balls of the fabulous sorbet! The sparkling wine was paired PERFECTLY with this. The sorbet really played off the bubbles in the wine and Chris said it tasted like "Pop Rocks". Josh whole heartedly agreed! I don't normally like raspberries that much but this was wonderful - very light on the seeds!

When the entrees arrived we were speechless! For starters we were told that the chef was transferring to Hawaii and that this would be his last event for Whole Foods in Chandler. Well, Hawaii watch out . . . your gain is our loss! The chef really went out with a bang. Our crab and truffle encrusted New York strip was HUGE!!!! I'm talking 14-16 oz of perfectly marbled meat! I really wished I could've eaten it all but it was just too much! The flavor was spectacular. Again, the chef combined the wine with the meal by making a Meritage demi-glaze and served it with whipped chive mashed potatoes and rapini with roasted garlic (big, fat roasted garlic cloves!). I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed the meal. I tried to save it for the next day but we were heading out of town. If this meal was any indication of Whole Foods events, they really give you your money's worth - in quantity and quality! The Meritaqe was light which paired nicely with the crust of the steak and it didn't overpower the sides.

Now, we had no room left but you know how it goes . . . somehow there's always room for dessert. The Chocolate Lava Cake was served with a Kokopelli dessert wine - Kokopelli Ratafia. This was a white port style wine that was showcased nicely by the Lava Cake - which I could only eat a couple of bites of!

I, without reservation, give a BIG OL' SHOUT OUT to Whole Foods for a great meal! Jim, great job on wine pairing, and chef, you are leaving a gaping hole in your wake - but I have confidence that Whole Foods has a great replacement for you! We'll definitely be back for another event!

No comments: