Thursday, August 7, 2008

Locavore III at Tapino

Yes, it's been a busy two weeks!

August 5th, 2008. Tapino hosted its third Locavore Extravaganza! We attended the first of two nights devoted to local farmers, ranchers, winemakers and artisans. Although the reservation for our party of six was mistakenly reduced to two . . . Wendy and crew immediately fixed the problem and had us seated in a jiffy! We joined a table that included Greg and Tina from Grape Escapes. They offer wine tours to Sedona's wine country on a comfortable motorcoach - nicknamed the "Wine-a-bago".

We were also seated at a table next to the featured winemaker for the evening . . . Todd Bostock (with his beautiful wife Kelly and their new baby, Griffin). I'm glad to say that the sound system worked great and it wasn't as difficult to hear the speakers as it had been in the past. Chef James Porter was joined by Guest Chef Payton Curry of Digestif fame. They're partnership created a synergistic effect that amplified the quality of the dinner that night!

We started with an amuse of cheese, basil oil and micro and licorice basil. Both Josh and I noticed the distinct licorice flavor and thought it might be anise - but no, first time for LICORICE BASIL! Yummy.

The first course was a McClendon Farms sweet red campari tomato poached in queen creek olive oil - paired with Dos Cabezas Pink 2007. I told Josh that I could eat this all the time. It was so tasty! I'm also becoming quite a fan of Arizona Roses. Between Pillsbury Rose and DC Pink - I'm getting spoiled!

The second course was, I think, my favorite. Our guest is a Chowhound and knows her food! She had warned us that Chef Payton Curry was a master of charcuterie . . . and she didn't lie! I'm getting more adventurous with my food choices and I have to say that my favorite item on the plate was the head cheese. I know it sounds yucky . . . but it was fabulous! The plate also included a country pate, a stuffed Padron pepper and warm sausage. The two chefs joked about being the "Two Chefs and a Pig". They literally had a whole pig delivered to them and then created our meal! Fresh, fresh, fresh! This was paired with the "DC White" 2006, a nice light wine that paired nicely.

The third course was a chilled lemon cucumber and tomato martini. I have to admit that I wasn't a fan - however, A BIG HOWEVER, everyone else at the table loved it. It's a texture thing for me, I guess. The celery salt rim (I think) was a great feature.

The fourth course, the entree, was an Arizona pecan wood roasted Visser Farm leg of lamb with Ash Creek Ranch beef cannelloni and native tepary bean ragout. A mouthful but very yummy. This was paired with Dos Cabezas "Toscano" - 2006. I think this was our favorite wine pairing of the night. The food brought out the spiciness of the wine. We all loved it!

Lastly, our dessert of Duck Egg and Fossil Creek goat cheese chocolate flan with Sphinx date ranch caramel. This was great, of course, too! This was paired with Dos Cabezas "El Norte" - 2006. I don't know if this pairing worked the best for me but I loved each of the items individually. Fossil Creek goat cheese is becoming one of my favorite dessert ingredients. I think that Chef Porter has showcased this in all of his locavore dinners - and I hope that he doesn't stop!

I can't tell you how great these events are. I really hope that you attend as many of them as you can. I'm going to try to work on getting some of the other restaurants around the state to start producing the Locavore-themed dinners. Helping the local farmers and getting a chance to enjoy incredible food - I can't think of a better cause! If you are interested in attending a Locavore dinner but don't live in the Phoenix area - talk to your favorite restaurant and see if they are interested in producing this type of meal. Chef Porter said he'd be happy to help any restaurant interested in utilizing this concept!

There's another one set for October - you won't want to miss it! We won't!

No comments: